Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake


I love eating fruits and veggies and when it comes to dessert, I’m no different.  Rhubarb crisp, carrot cake, or pumpkin bars; they’re a nice change from chocolate. (Don’t get me wrong though, I’m a chocoholic from waaay back.)

Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits to cook with... and of course eat too!  And now, after my trip to Maine, I’m going crazy for them.  Lucky for me, I found this recipe on Sweet Anna’s, but I wanted to make it a bit healthier.   

Also, this is the first recipe you can print!  I hope you’re all impressed by my technological skills!

Anyways, let’s get started:

Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake
For the cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups oat flour*
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk (any kind, I used soymilk)
4-5 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen, do not thaw)

For the crumble topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, softened
1-2 teaspoons of sugar, optional

Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease a 9x13 and set aside.
Let’s start on the cake:
1. Stir together the two types of flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
2. In a large bowl (or a stand mixer, if you have one) cream together the sugar and butter. Then add the eggs and vanilla. Stir together.
3. Add in the flour mixture and milk alternately (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour) to sugar mixture.  
4. Then, gently fold in your blueberries.  The batter will be rather thick, so try not to mash the berries.
5. Evenly spread the cake batter into your greased pan.  
Now for the crumble topping:
6. In the bowl that you had the flour mixture in, add the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter.  Mix them together.  If the topping doesn’t seem crumbly enough, add a bit more sugar to dry it out.

7. Crumble this on top of your cake batter.

8. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until golden brown.  Let cool and serve.

*You can make your own oat flour by grinding up oatmeal in food processor, blender, coffee grinder, or spice grinder.  However, make sure you’re measuring 1 1/2 cups of the oat flour and not 1 1/2 cups of plain oatmeal, because you won’t be adding enough flour.  If you want more information about oat flour, here’s a great article.


This coffee cake is great because it’s not too light or too heavy.  It’s perfect for a summertime dessert or for brunch.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment