Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Potato Curry Mash




Before making this dish, I had never used curry before.  I don’t even remember having tasted curry before, it just isn't something my parents cook with.  I have a few friends who use curry regularly in their cooking and I was inspired to give it a go.  Now that I’ve tried it, I’ll definitely be doing more experimenting with this spice.


Potato Curry Mash
4 carrots
1 onion
4 potatoes
2 cups of veggie or chicken broth
15.5 ounce can of chickpeas
6 ounces of tomato paste
1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk
Curry powder to taste


1. Dice up the carrots, onion, and potatoes.  This smaller you chop them, the faster they cook, so I went pretty small.

2. Put all the veggies into a pot with the broth.  Cook on medium heat until they are soft.  I put the pot lid on and just let them boil and steam.  

3. Next is adding the chickpeas, but the exact moment is up to you:  if you want them to be soft, like me, add them soon so they have time to cook.  If firmer chickies are more your style, add them at the end.

4. When your veggies are soft and chickpeas happy, turn off the heat.  Add milk, I used soy milk, to your desired consistency.  Then start adding the curry powder.  I used the method of adding a spoonful, stirring it up and taste testing; adding a little more, then test testing again.  You don’t want to get ‘curried’ away!  (Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.)






There you have it!  It’s so simple, delicious and a great way to get some veggies into your diet.  I was originally planning on putting bell peppers in as well, but ended up using them to make fajitas.  Next time I’ll definitely be putting them in!  




No comments:

Post a Comment